By Peter Borsay
A heritage of Leisure
- explores a number of interests, from festive tradition and tune to tourism and sport
- emphasises a conceptual and important procedure, instead of an easy narrative history
- covers quite a number subject matters together with financial system, kingdom, type, identities, position, house and time
- treats the constituent components of the British Isles as a fluid and dynamic amalgam of neighborhood and nationwide cultures and polities.
Authoritative and interesting, this article demanding situations traditional perspectives at the heritage of relaxation and indicates new methods to the topic. Borsay attracts upon the insights supplied via a number of disciplines along that of heritage - anthropology, the humanities, geography and sociology - to supply a vital consultant to this attention-grabbing sector of study.
Read Online or Download A History of Leisure: The British Experience since 1500 PDF
Similar sociology of sports books
Jockocracy: Queering Masculinity in activity is a publication that's in itself progressive and leading edge. it truly is novel since it offers insights into the Queering of male homosocial carrying environments and the connection to masculinity and the physique in carrying contexts. It offers chapters which hide multidimensional under-researched parts of data and highlights specific Queered epistemological demanding situations.
Stay broadband streaming of the 2008 Beijing Olympics accounted for 2,200 of the predicted 3,600 overall hours proven by means of the yankee NBC-Universal networks. on the 2012 London Olympics, unparalleled multi-platforming embraced on-line, cellular units, online game consoles and broadcast tv, with the BBC offering 2,500 hours of stay assurance, together with each aggressive occasion, a lot in excessive definition and a few in 3D.
Rest is a key element of recent dwelling. How did our ancestors event game long ago, and the way does this relate to the current? to reply to those questions, Peter Borsay examines the heritage of rest in Britain during the last 500 years, analysing components of either continuity and alter. A background of rest- explores a number interests, from festive tradition and track to tourism and game- emphasises a conceptual and demanding procedure, instead of an easy narrative historical past- covers various topics together with economic climate, kingdom, classification, identities, position, house and time- treats the constituent components of the British Isles as a fluid and dynamic amalgam of neighborhood and nationwide cultures and polities.
Spanish football is on best of the realm, at overseas and membership point, with the simplest groups and a likely never-ending offer of interesting and fashionable avid gamers. whereas the Spanish economic climate struggles, its football thrives, deeply embedded all through Spanish social and cultural existence. however the dating among football, tradition and nationwide identification in Spain is advanced.
- Pooling Talent: Swimming's Greatest Teams (Rowman & Littlefield Swimming Series)
- Pigskin Rapture: Four Days in the Life of Texas Football
- Ethics, Knowledge and Truth in Sports Research: An Epistemology of Sport (Ethics and Sport)
- Routledge Handbook of Drugs and Sport (Routledge International Handbooks)
Additional info for A History of Leisure: The British Experience since 1500
A History of Leisure: The British Experience since 1500 by Peter Borsay